Exam Board: AQA Exam No: 8698
GCSE Spanish is important because...
- You’ll increase your chances of getting a well-paid job. A language boosts your C.V.
- You’ll be able to compete with anyone else who has the English Baccalaureate; you will be more likely to get into a good college and into a good university.
- Believe it or not, but you will became better at English. This is for two reasons:
- Language learning draws your focus to the mechanics of language (grammar, conjugations, sentence structure…).
- Spanish is a Latin based language, and most of the advanced and scientific words come from Latin. Therefore you will improve your vocabulary for English, Maths, Science, History, Geography, etc.
- Numerous studies have identified the brain benefits of bilingualism (i.e. speaking more than one language): your memory improves, you become better at decision making and problem solving and you are more able to multitask. To summarise, you become smarter. Worth giving it a try!
There are four exams:
Unit 1 Listening - Foundation Tier, Higher Tier = 25% of marks
Unit 2 Reading - Foundation Tier, Higher Tier = 25% of marks
Unit 3 Speaking - Foundation Tier, Higher Tier = 25% of marks
Unit 4 Writing - Foundation Tier, Higher Tier = 25% of marks
- GCSE Spanish is a continuation of what you have done in Years 7 and 8.
- The topics are relevant to your real life. You’ll learn to talk about celebrities, your family, your free time activities, your holidays and your opinions about things that matter to you.